The textiles and garments industry is the sector where the sustainability movement has hit earliest in the globe. With the significant contribution to the economic and social development in many countries, especially of South and South-East Asia, more concerns are shifted to poor working conditions and compliance with social and labour standards. It is against this background that the EMM Network initiatives the project “Social and Labour Standards in the Textile and Garment Sector in Asia (SLSG)” working in Bangladesh, Cambodia, Myanmar and Pakistan and together with China, by supporting the efforts of private and state actors, both within and across the factories and the national and regional level to improve social and labour standards of the sector throughout Asia towards a sustainable garment and textile industry.
In cooperation with factory managers and workers, the project is fostering knowledge and implementation of sustainable standards in the factories, working towards an understanding of legal rights and obligations of both parties. Furthermore, the project supports state institutions to implement measures promoting sustainability standards like improving the inspections system or legislative amendments. To meet the challenges posed by an ongoing globalization of the industry, the project initiates networks with stakeholders from Asian garment producing countries and links them to international brands. Thus it participates actively in the development of the sector throughout Asia, promoting and facilitating exchange, knowledge sharing and cooperation towards a sustainable garment and textile industry.
- 23MayRoundtable on Sustainable Production in the Textile and Garments Sector in Yangon, MyanmarYangon, Myanmar
- 23FebRoundtable on Sustainable Production in the Textile and Garment Sector in Dhaka, BangladeshDhaka, Bangladesh
- 22FebInvitation to Consultation on the revised CSC9000T Social Responsibility Management System for Chinese Textile and Apparel EnterprisesShanghai, China
- 07NovRoundtable on Sustainable Production in the Textile and Garment Sector in Shanghai, ChinaShanghai, China
- 10OctSino-German (Jiaxing) Roundtable on CSR in the Textile Industry in Jiaxing, Zhejiang Province, ChinaJiaxing, Zhejiang, China
- 15AugRoundtable on Sustainable Production in the Textile and Garment Sector in Phnom Phen, CambodiaPhnom Penh, Cambodia
- 25FebKick-off Meeting on Social and Labour Standards in the Textile and Garment Sector in AsiaShanghai, China