Second International Workshop on Responsibility, Sustainability, and Successful Supply Chains
The EMM Network together with econsense – Forum for Sustainable Development of German Business and the China WTO Tribune organized the 2nd International Workshop on Responsibility, Sustainability, and Successful Supply Chains. The half-day event brought together German companies and their Chinese suppliers to discuss on sustainable supply chain approaches. Panel speakers included representatives of German multinational companies who shared best practice examples on creating a responsible and successful supply chain relationship with China.
The workshop was part of the GoldenBee International Conference 2015 that annually awards socially responsible companies with the GoldenBee CSR China Honour Roll.
The GoldenBee International Conference 2015 featured a second major event of the EMM Network. The Exploration -“One Belt and One Road”: Benefits, Destiny and Responsibility Community of Chinese Companies Going Abroad forum co-organized by the EMM Network and the China WTO Forum brought together key decision makers of the private sector, government as well as civil society representatives to jointly showcase and explore linkages between the Chinese Belt and Road (BAR) Initiative and Chinese companies’ going abroad.
Key statements included:
- “For Chinese companies, in order to go global, they have to increase their strength, but more importantly, they should improve their CSR performance as well. They should become both profitable and respectable.” Lihong SONG, Deputy Director General of Comprehensive Department, Ministry of Commerce
- “Chinese companies sometimes still lag behind in social responsibility, due to the short time period of going global, lack of understanding of foreign policies, laws, regulations and culture, as well as their rare participation in formulating international rules. As a result, it has been an uphill battle for Chinese companies in the process of going global.” Lihui SUN, Director of Communication Department, China Chamber of Commerce of Metals Minerals & Chemicals Importers & Exporters (CCCMC)
- “Chinese companies going global need a large number of talented people who have not only CSR awareness but also understanding of local society; law abiding issue of companies overseas requires the guidance and help from government and industrial organizations; companies going global face unavoidable challenges in terms of intellectual property rights protection; companies should attach importance to culture shock.” Laibao NIU, General Accountant of China National Technical Import Corporation
- “For a long time, we have deeply realized from overseas operation that only when the companies make joint efforts with the host country and local communities, bring tangible and sustainable economic and social benefits to them, and create shared value, can they make rapid, stable and sustainable progress in the “One Belt and One Road” initiative.” Zhifeng JIN, Deputy Director of General Office, China Minerals Corporation
Key results included:
- Companies must implement a high standard of sustainable business models as well as including a philosophy of responsibility in companies’ internal and external communications, policies and actions.
- Companies should attach importance to CSR in terms of strategic planning.
- More resources should be mobilized to support CSR practices.
- Companies should respect the local culture.
- Companies should cooperate with international organizations to improve their work in CSR.
- Good management to promote sustainable business models to achieve standardization, systematization and normalization.
- Good business practices help companies perform well in overseas investment.
- Dissemination of companies’ case stories to further enable companies to go global necessary.