We are 250 sustainability leaders in multinational companies based or operating in emerging economies. We develop and implement progressive sustainability and environmental standards, turning them into successful business solutions that benefit our customers, the environment, stake- and shareholders. We ensure that insights from these business solutions feed into global fora and processes such as the G20, the OECD, or the World Economic Forum.
Sustainability transformation through an engagement of the private sector – for a greener and brighter future.
Our Network Approach
The EMM Network seeks to capture, advance, and multiply the efforts of its members in order to support the scaling-up and rolling-out of sustainable business models in emerging markets. This is achieved through a series of exclusive events, specific initiatives and an online knowledge and learning hub. The Network identifies areas of collaboration between its members and facilitates peer-to-peer interaction. When the need arises, members can be connected with advisory services of the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) and thereby benefit from its vast experience in jointly implementing sustainability initiatives with businesses worldwide. The EMM Network gathers and communicates success stories of sustainable business solutions and helps create a powerful voice for sustainable business in and from emerging markets.
The EMM Network addresses sustainable business model innovation through different initiative areas:
Our Network Initiative Model
While each initiative of the EMM Network is tailored to the specifics of the challenge, our model initiative approach follows a five-step process.
- Background Analysis: Identifying the principal sustainability challenges and analyzing the background context, which often includes the legal environment, best practices, and business concerns. We usually partner here with our sister network EPF.
- Action Framework: Through collaboration amongst our members, a specific action framework is defined, which may take the form of an industry guideline, a code of conduct, or an analytical tool.
- Implementation: A selected group of EMM Network members design and implement pilot projects to test the action framework within their businesses.
- National and International Peer-Learning & Presentation: Public fora discuss the results. Lessons learned from the pilots and perspectives from the public and outside experts are fed back into improving the action framework.
- Policy Innovations: The results form innovative policy approaches, often in conjunction with independent research organizations and with our sister networks under the umbrella of the Emerging Market Sustainability Dialogues (EMSD), the Economic Policy Forum (EPF) and Emerging Markets Dialogue on Finance (EMDF). These are communicated to relevant public agencies, feed into intergovernmental processes and replicated in other emerging markets.